Automatic Bone Screw Inspection and Measurement
VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparators are the perfect solution for automatic bone screw inspection and measurement.
There are many reasons why the VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator is widely used by medical device manufacturers for automated inspection and measurement of bone screws:
- Automatically compare bone screws against their CAD data
- With its proprietary CAD Auto-Align™ and CAD Auto-Pass/Fail™ tools (Patents Pending), the system can check screws completely automatically, regardless of their orientation!
- Eliminate operator subjectivity!
- Automatically collect measurements, statistics, images and other data for complete device history information
- Thanks to the system's extended depth-of-field, the entire screw can be in focus even at the helix angle (no need to constantly refocus)!
- Measure the bone screw's thread major and minor diameters and other characteristics, completely automatically and to a very high accuracy
- With the optional rotary stage, you can automatically measure the helix angle, very accurately!
- The system is perfect for bone screw inspection and measurement directly on the shop floor
For bone screws inspection and measurement on the VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator, some manufacturers use horizontal configurations, while others use a vertical configuration. The decision to use one or the other is generally based on fixturing considerations. The hard chrome plated stage, made from hardened tooling steel, has industry standard dual dovetail grooves that make it compatible with existing mounting fixtures, and a drop-in replacement for traditional optical comparators. Rotary stages are also an option that can be added to these systems.
Download a .pdf version of this VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator Application note here.