Automatic CAD Overlay Alignment with CAD Auto-Align™
The VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator’s ground-breaking CAD Auto-Align™ tool automatically aligns the CAD data to the part.
The CAD Auto-Align™ tool is very fast (it typically takes a second or two at most) and it produces repeatable and accurate results that are completely operator-independent!
The operation of the CAD Auto-Align™ tool is extremely straightforward. To run it, simply press the “Auto-Align” button:
Checking the “XY” checkbox next to the Auto-Align button tells the Auto-Align tool to only carry out X,Y alignment, and to leave the CAD overlay’s orientation unchanged. This is especially useful when adapted fixturing already ensures that the part is properly oriented relative to the CAD overlay.
Checking the “R” checkbox indicates that a rotation-only alignment should be carried out. This is especially useful in the case of parts that are much larger than the system’s optical field-of-view. In this case, the following procedure is a common practice:
- go to one extremity of the part and carry out a full X,Y,Rotation alignment,
- set the CAD’s center of rotation at that position (with the “User” button),
- and then to go to the other extremity of the part and carry out a rotation-only alignment (and thus not translating anything in the previous field-of-view).
This is a very efficient and accurate way to align a CAD file to a very large part.
When the “XY” and “R” checkboxes are both unchecked then the Auto-Align tool carries out full X, Y and rotation alignment of the CAD overlay to the part.
The VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator’s powerful Auto-Align tool allows you to drastically reduce inspection times and obtain increased accuracy. It can line the CAD drawing up to the part along one or multiple datums, or it can do a “best fit” alignment. You can easily apply it to meet the requirements of your specific application!
Many VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator users combine the Auto-Align and Auto Pass/Fail tools to fully automate their inspections:
- The operator loads the part in the fixture and scans the barcode on the traveller.
- This causes the VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator to load and run a part-specific program that automatically:
- Reads-in the correct CAD file
- Auto-Aligns the CAD file to the part
- Produces an Auto Pass/Fail result that is collected in a Data Group and sent to Excel or an other external application…
- In the case of parts that are larger than the system’s optical field-of-view, the stage moves the part and carries out the Auto Pass/Fail inspection at however many different locations are required. This way, the whole part gets inspected without having to “shift the overlay”. The CAD data tracks the part’s movement!
With our patented CAD Auto-Align™, CAD Auto Pass/Fail™, and patent-pending Tooth Checker™ tools, the VisionGauge® Digital Optical Comparator is truly revolutionizing how parts are inspected, quickly and accurately, directly on the shop floor!
Please contact us for more information including a detailed spec sheet, a “Frequently Asked Questions” document, pricing, etc…